Instead of doing a Power Rankings post, each week I am going to go over all the rankings. (Note: All the rankings includes the USCHO Poll, SB Nation Poll, PairWise Rankings, my Power Rankings, and my ballot for the SB Nation Poll.)
Some thoughts on each of the ranking mechanisms:
- USCHO Poll – Garbage. Voters are lazy and (I suspect) don’t actually watch the games.
- SB Nation Poll – We generally get it as right as biased humans can.
- PairWise Rankings – Limited, but functional.
- My Power Rankings – My rankings are built on ranking teams across 10 categories and then summing those categorical rankings. Those categories are Winning Percentage, Goal Differential, Shooting Percentage, Save Percentage, Power Play, Penalty Kill (both *.333 as teams spend on average 1/3 of a game on special teams), Percentage of Shots Taken in Games, Percentage of Shots taken Relative to Opponent Quality, and the last two against teams that take more than 50% of shots in a game. This is also limited, but is more well-rounded than the PairWise, which is based solely on wins and losses. If Team A gets outshot 100-1 by Team B, but wins 1-0, I am more apt to reward Team B and think of them as a better team than Team A. My rankings attempt to account for this with the limited data available.
- My Ballot – The best, obviously.